Organic Shaped Circular Weavings








My new favorite way to teach weaving to third grade!!!! We started by making the clay loom. I introduce the students to organic shapes, telling them that I didn't want anything symmetrical. The students listened, and made awesome organic shapes out of clay. I handed out circle tracers and they cut out the center of the design. I added all of the holes around the inner circle and then fired the clay. The students painted their designs with watercolor instead of glaze because I was afraid of clogging the holes with the glaze. The next class we strung our loom with string creating a spider web design.  The students spent the next 4 classes weaving out from the center with yarn. The students learned what they needed from weaving, without it taking 15 classes. I recommend this lesson to anyone wanting to try something new when it comes to weaving.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eat Your Fruits And Veggies Mosaics!

Leonardo Da Vinci Flying Machines

5th Grade Emphasis… Work In Progress