Foreshortening... 5th Graders Self-Portraits




These self-portraits took a long time to make... But well worth the wait! My students learned about foreshortening with this lesson. I wanted the portraits to look as if they were falling through space. I got this idea from a fellow blogger (Thanks). I started out by having my students trace their shoes and hands on the first day. After they did that, we talked about face structure and dimensions. The students learned a lot and I feel as if they were surprised with how well they turned out. They looked at me like I was crazy when I told them that the eyes were in the middle of your head and the nose in the bottom quarter.
Since they have been in the hall... fellow teachers can't say enough good things about them. As a first year teacher, I have no idea what was taught the previous years. The previous teacher teacher taught for almost 30 years and did the same project year after year (not that there is anything wrong with that). I do know that the other teachers are loving the new fresh projects.
For me, each project is fresh... I have no idea what may come of them when we start, but I love how the ones I have done so far!

Comments

  1. I love this idea! Very cool project Matt! I'm in the same boat--I replaced a teacher who had been there for 42 years. Hearing positive comments from teachers and parents is really reassuring!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Eat Your Fruits And Veggies Mosaics!

Leonardo Da Vinci Flying Machines

5th Grade Emphasis… Work In Progress