Elmer the Elephant Inspired Weavings





My first grade made weaving's that were inspired by the book Elmer. The book is about an elephant named Elmer who is a patchwork elephant. The book celebrates being different and not trying to change who you are to try and fit in. I thought that Elmer kind of looked like a colorful weaving. The students made their own loom using a ruler to measure out inch wide segments. We used as many different colors as possible as we went OVER AND UNDER...OVER AND UNDER. The students were probably saying that in their sleep, I know I was. After they finished the weaving we added the image of Elmer on the weaving, and then we added the shape pattern to the area around Elmer. They did a great job, and I love the finished product!

Comments

  1. I like your blog man!!! Only thing I can say is...post post post!!! :) The more you post..the more traffic you'll get. I'll feature you to in a post & add you to my blog list. And like I said..the more you post..the more people will see it on my list & they'll come visit you!! :) TRUST ME! Glad to connect with you...not a lot of us guys out there in the field bloggin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Elmer books on my wish list! This is a great idea. I finally realized that my students are all about AB patterns since they practice those in math class. Once I pointed out that over, under is an AB pattern they seemed to remember it better. Great lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this. looks like some great stuff on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm here via Mr. E's blog! I'm in Madison, WI.. not too far from you. :) Nice to meet you. Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I would check your blog out because Mr. E talked about you...I like your weaving idea...I will be using it...I teach art in eastern Iowa...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have another idea for you to get people coming to your blog. Do a post on Looking for New Art Blogs to add to your blog roll!!!! :) That might get some people tuning in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this book and I like how you used weaving to for this project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Eat Your Fruits And Veggies Mosaics!

Leonardo Da Vinci Flying Machines

5th Grade Emphasis… Work In Progress