When Teaching Kindergarten Colors, When Is It Too Early To Introduce Painting?

I started a lesson today in my kindergarten classes introducing the students to the primary colors. In each lesson I want to combine a book or an artist with the lesson subject or idea. With this lesson I introduced the kindergarten to the artist Alexander Calder and his colorful (primary colored) mobiles. I could have had the students use markers or crayons, but I thought what the heck lets let them paint and get them started right out the gate with PAINT. The kindergarten teachers in both my buildings are AWESOME and are doing a great job of teaching the students colors in the first weeks of school. As an art teacher I see it as my duty to show my students how to hold a paintbrush and paint. Some people I have asked feel that I should wait till the kindergarten teachers introduce painting.... Well I'm a first year teacher so if I fall on my face, then I laugh it off and remember for the next year.
As I was teacher the students how to paint their individual squares with individual colors, I took it step-by-step and had the students grab a new brush each time they started a new color (I was the brushes after class.... time and brush saver). I thought my kindergartners did a great job. A couple of them dropped paint on the floor and stepped in it, (little foot prints all over the room) but this was the biggest problem. Heck I can paint, but I still drip paint so I figure if this is my only problem then things went well.
Please let me know what you think.... and once I add pictures let me know how you might have done the lesson differently and without paint is you disagree with my PAINT on the first lesson.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eat Your Fruits And Veggies Mosaics!

Leonardo Da Vinci Flying Machines

5th Grade Emphasis… Work In Progress